Planning My Visit
At Horizon Eye Care, we value your time and want you to know what to expect for your appointment with us. In order to ensure a smooth check-in process and manage waiting time expectations, please review the information below.
Before Your Visit
Please call your insurance provider. Contacting your insurance company will help to determine whether Horizon Eye Care is an in-network provider as well as what is covered under your policy. Your insurance company may ask the name of your primary care physician, so please have that information ready.
Questions to ask your insurance company:
- Is Horizon Eye Care in-network for your plan?
- Is routine eye care covered for you, and is Horizon Eye Care in-network with your vision plan?
- Is a referral required for specialty care?
- Is a contact lens exam included under your vision or medical plan, if applicable?
- Is a refraction service (code 92015) covered under your vision or medical plan? A refraction service is a routine but crucial test which determines whether you have had any changes in your vision or have an underlying eye disease. A refraction exam is required before glasses or contact lenses can be prescribed. If your insurance does not cover a refraction exam, you must pay these fees. Horizon Eye Care offers a “prompt pay rate” of $50 if paid at time of service.
Before coming to your appointment, please plan to bring these five items.
- Legal I.D., including health care power of attorney form or consent form for minors when applicable.
- Insurance card, showing current coverage for you.
- Eyeglasses or contacts you have been fitted for and/or currently wear.
- A complete list of current medications, including the dosage and how often you take each medication.
- Method of payment. Horizon accepts cash, check, VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Please note: Horizon Eye Care policy states that all co-pays must be collected at time of service.
If you are a new patient, there are three additional forms to bring to your appointment. You can print them out by going to Patient Forms and downloading the New Patient Form, the Medical Records Release Form and our Patient Privacy acknowledgement. Please fill out these forms completely and bring them to your appointment as well. Alternatively, you can complete these forms online using our Patient Portal. Call us at 704-365-0555 to obtain an enrollment token to access the Patient Portal.
We encourage our patients to sign up for our Patient Portal, which allows you to request appointments, request prescription refills, pay statements online and manage your account. For detailed instructions on how to sign up, go to How do I enroll in the Patient Portal? or see any Horizon Eye Care associate when you come in for your appointment.
When You Arrive
Horizon is accessibility friendly. Each of our six Charlotte-area offices is located on the first floor for your convenience – a short distance from the front door. Waiting rooms are spacious, clean, up-to-date and comfortable.
Please check in at the front desk when you arrive. Once you’re seated, please check back with the receptionist if you have not been seen within 20 minutes.
Waiting for Your Doctor
There are two basic kinds of appointments: routine eye check-ups and medical appointments. Routine eye check-ups are often simple, requiring little waiting time. Medical appointments, which range from surgical procedures to multi-stage examination visits, often require dilation or other treatment and generally require more time. A child’s eyes often take longer to dilate, so please expect an added wait time.
As part of a medical practice, Horizon Eye Care doctors are sometimes called upon for eye-related emergencies throughout the day. These emergencies and other special situations may also add to your wait time. We regret the inconvenience but appreciate your patience in those instances.
While you are waiting for your doctor, we invite you to enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi in all of our practice offices.
We appreciate that you have chosen Horizon Eye Care for your vision needs. By addressing the items we’ve covered here before arriving for your appointment, you can help us ensure the most worry-free experience possible. If there is anything else we can do to make your visit with us more pleasant, we encourage you to let us know.
If you have not yet made your appointment, please call 704-365-0555 during regular business hours or use our online form to Request An Appointment anytime. If you have not enrolled on our Patient Portal, you can obtain an enrollment token by calling us at 704-365-0555. Patient Portal enrollees can request an appointment 24-hours a day by logging in here and choosing Schedule and Request an Appointment from the main navigation.